Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba
Howard Kaikow Howard Kaikow is offline

Default VBA Code Security

One can always get down to, say, assembler, but using a DLL makes it
impossible to recreate the source.
The idea is to make it more expensive to crack the code. Using a DLL is the
only way.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Mike Walker" wrote in message
Hi

VBA Security and lock down is easy to crack, you could if you are that
desperate to lock out viewers use protection within the sheet and your

idea
of using a DLL is ok but just as easy, IMHO you are on a losing battle if
someone wishes to look they will do so I think an idea would be to make it
as hard as possible and give another file as a key to the solution to use
this as an unlock code if possible as this would really make it hard to

view
all with out several components being in place.

Good luck

Mike Walker
"TJ Walls" wrote in message
am.com...
On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:58:35 +0200, Frank Kabel wrote:

Hi
just some comments :-)
1. If you use a secure algorithmn just hiding your implementation

would
add 'security by obscurity'. IMHO it's never a good idea to achieve
security by hiding the implementation details :-)

I totally agree ... security by obscurity is aweful. I would not use
what I am doing in the "real" world. The people who will have a chance
to hack away at my program will be at best moderately experienced and
after 6 months wouldn't care about the data anymore anyway, so it

should
up I think.

2. I can understand that. But for this a simple password would do to
prevent accidentically changes

Yeah, but I'm giving this to someone who is completely computer
unfriendly and its the intentional changes she wouldn't notice that

I'm
worried about.

If you really need security no way without creating a DLL

Cool, a DLL it is. Thanks a lot ..... and the rabbit hole I find

myself
in goes deeper. :)

Sincerely,
-TJ Walls
Ph.D. Candidate - Dept. of Physics, Stony Brook University