Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ron van Oijen Ron van Oijen is offline

Default Copy & Paste Hyperlink address into cell

Hi,

An example of the hyperlink:
http://www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/ar...RTISTID=862413

The number starts at position 62. The number of digits by which the number
is composed varies

Regards,
Ron
Groningen, The Netherlands

"Frank Kabel" schreef in bericht
Hi
could you give some examples for your hyperlinks. That is if you want
to extract this number at which position is this number stored?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Ron van Oijen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
i.nl...
Hi,

I have downloaded a huge list of rock artist names together with

their
musical styles into an MS Excel 2003 worksheet. Each name has a

hyperlink
attached to it, and clicking the hyperlink will open a web page with
detailed information about this artist. For database purposes, the

hyperlink
is extremely useful for identifying the artist, as each hyperlink

contains a
number that is unique for that artist. So getting the URL value of

the
hyperlink and extracting this number from it will give me the means

differentiate between artists with identical names rather than to

confuse
them. It is easy to manually copy the hyperlinks one-by-one by
right-clicking the cel open the Edit Hyperlink window copy the
hyperlink-address close the Edit Hyperlink window paste into the

cell.
This will fully display the URL value of the hyperlink. But this is

not
practical for my situation, where I'd have to repeat this for about

50,000
times. Using the Excel Macro Recorder I have tried to create a macro

that
will copy and paste the hyperlink into the cell to the right of the

cell
with the original artist data, using the sequence of the manual

procedure.
The macro fails, however, as the macro-recorder doesn't record the

action of
copying the hyperlink-address during the opening of the Edit

Hyperlink
window; so it will paste any content that happens to be on the

Windows
Clipboard at the time of pasting.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions that would help me find

a way
to solve this little problem.

Ron.