Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

Default VBA Code Security

TJ,

No it isn't that, even if I were considered touchy, the same could never be
said of the many other fine contributors. But it is a question of
proportionality. When there is so much free data, free information, free
training, and free products on the web, it's a rare product that warrants
locking down.

If it were me ( but I already have full VB, so I would say that wouldn't I),
I would get VB. You should be able to get a cheap(ish) copy on eBay.
Although you could also get a cheap Office 2000, VB is more flexible, more
powerful, and more fun.Your code is much more secure then, as it is a
binary, but you could also get AppSentinel, a fine product that allows you
to issue time-restricted evaluation versions of your code.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"TJ Walls" wrote in message
am.com...
Hi Bob,

On Thu, 13 May 2004 21:31:08 +0100, Bob Phillips wrote:

So, I think you have more on your plate than it is worth bothering with.

And
really, is your code that good? There are dozens of examples of really

good,
quality code given free by the regulars here, and more on various

websites,

Umm ... I think your misinterpreting here. Please don't take this as "My
code is sooo great I don't want anyone to see it." I'm not saying that my
_code_ is necessarily any good at all. As I said, in VBA, I'm a beginner.
So I would imagine my code is rather ugly / inefficient to a seasoned VB
coder. It's not the code I'm trying to protect at all. There are 2 things
that security will accomplish for me here.

1) I use a couple of algrorithms which are common knowledge, but a view
of my exact implementation would compromise data that I would like to
remain relatively secure.

2) Prevents changes to the code without substantial prying. Again, for
security reasons. I could care less about giving out the shell code for
what I'm doing.

I would hope trying to lock down my code is not seen as a jab to you or
anyone else who gratefully contributes their knowledge to this newsgroup.

-TJ Walls
Ph.D. Candidate - Dept. of Physics, Stony Brook University