Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
steveb[_4_] steveb[_4_] is offline

Default Standards for a code library

Tim,

I am a moderate at using Excel programming and have found this group to be a
'gold mine' of good code to use.

Over the past several years I have compiled a workbook with bits and pieces
of code for reference and use. Also have another workbook with links to web
sites pointed out in this user group. From the links I have obtained a very
useful add-in for finding answers to my many questions:
www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

And whenever I have a serious question - I just ask the group.

As far as style is concerned - there seem to be as many solutions to the
same problem as there are coders. But some code runs more smoothly than
others. The guru's make the best. But most of the code works well.

In a group setting it is helpful that everyone work toward the same style
for the sake of consistancy and ease of working with some one else's code.
Otherwise - what works is what works.

--
steveb
(Remove 'NOSPAM' from email address if replying direct)

"Tim Zych" wrote in message
Do any developers here use code libraries at work? I am
wondering what successes people have had w/regard to
sharing reusable functions among peers. What fosters the
desire to use the code library and to share/borrow code?
We are adopting the use of SouceBook by FMS and I would
like to know how we can use it successfully in a group
setting.

What should we manage? What should we not manage? How
strict must rules be w/respect to posting a function? Must
we all use the exact same coding style or is there wiggle
room?