Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default creating Excel with text

Good point. XML with XSLT will be (should be) the default in future. It
should work in Excel 2002+ (although I admit to never having done it
myself<vbg).

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Steve Garman" wrote in message
Theoretically, XML might be a possibility but I wouldn't like to try it
myself.

Bob Phillips wrote:
No, a text file doesn't hold all the detail about formatting. That is

partly
why Excel files are much bigger than text files, it contains that

formatting
data within it.

There is a Rich Text Format file type (RTF), which holds some formatting
details when opened in Word, but I haven't tried opening one of those in
Excel, but it won't do what you want.