Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Greg Koppel Greg Koppel is offline

Default Stop Cell Edit when DoubleClick

Tools/Options/Edit tab, uncheck Edit directly in cells

HTH, Greg

"David McRitchie" wrote in message
When I double-click on a cell it puts the cell into
"Edit mode". How do I turn this off. True whether
there is a double-click Event macro or not. My concern
is when a macro is involved, having the cell in Edit mode
messes up things including working in the VBE while
in cell edit.

Shows up more obviously if cell content is like
'AAA because then you will see the single quote
within the cell and the cursor after the last character.

Tools, Options, Edit, Edit Directly in a Cell
is invoked and it will stay that way.
Just want the macro to not leave it in Edit mode.

Test without and with a macro:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As

Boolean)
MsgBox "do nothing"
End Sub

The following will circumvent, but there must be a better way

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As

Boolean)
MsgBox "do nothing"
Application.SendKeys "{Down}"
Application.SendKeys "{up}"
End Sub

And if "edit mode" is not the correct terminology
please correct. Might be obvious from the solution though.
---
TIA,