Frantic Excel-er

I would like for this to be a macro because it is done about 30 times a
day....I am trying to automate a billing process, and this is just one facet
of it....I have already written 2 other macros that have decreased time spent
on it....

Other than that, I have to document everything that I do, so I would want
the steps to show.

Thanks for your post, though....it will definitely be handy if no one
responds on how to write the macro.

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Sara: Why don't you insert a new column to the left of your project numbers.
In it, put a formula like this:

=left(b2,3)

and that will return the first 3 digits. Now, using Data-Subtotals to get
your totals. No macro needed, turn the subtotals off when you're done.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Frantic Excel-er" wrote in
message ...
Hi -

I have been trying to make a macro that will automatically add up all of

my
project debits and credits. I have been unable to get this accomplished
without having a run time error if there aren't any projects, or any of

the
projects I have specified.

Project numbers look like this: F05GX35509

There are thousands of projects, but they are categorized by the first 3
digits. The first 3 digits could be F05, M04, etc....etc....and they

will
change every fiscal year.

Here is what I would like to be able to do....
1. Find the end of the data
2. Insert a formula to a)find the first 3 digits in a 10 digit number

from
column c b) sum up the debits in column e and the credits in column f and
place them at the end of the data sequence respectively, and c) show the
difference between credits and debits in column G
3. Label column B (to the left) of the formula what it is...i.e. if it

sums
up F05..then I want it to label F05...etc...

Can anyone help with this???? I am not very good at writing code, only
recording it while in excel, and I cannot figure out how to make this look

at
the change, but I know it can be done...I am not going to post my code
because I don't think the format is correct at all.....

Thanks in advance....Sara