Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
saturnin02[_2_] saturnin02[_2_] is offline

Default Cell Formulas vs. VBA

Rick,
I am one of the guys that do the formulas that get really complicated, etc.
They work but I feel that I would be much better off using VBA--except I
have never gotten started learning it.
I've looked at books, etc., but they are all fairly advanced and I just
didn't want to put the time in.
What would u suggest to get started in VBA on a real gradual learning curve?
Tx,
"Rick" wrote in message

I've seen some people do nothing but use formulas, that
are nearly as complicated as programming (in a limited
sense with lots of nested if statements etc.). But, I
won't hesitate to do all my work with VBA. I abandoned
the formula method of Excel automation years ago (except
in some cases where it's just convenient etc.).

Once you have the VBA code written in place, it's just a
matter of having the computer loop it through from one end
of the range to another. You can then do incredibly more
and more...where you'll find that it seems like that there
are no limits...just your imagination. The computer
processing speed and amount of data one has, also has to
be considered whether you want VBA programming or formulas.

Once you learn and use VBA on a regular basis, I think
you'll find it much better. Anyway, that is my personal
preference.

It will be interesting to hear other responses. I'm sure
everyone has a different answer with what works best for
them.

Rick