Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Andrew Scurrah Andrew Scurrah is offline

Default Lookups in arrays

To Whomever Can Help,

I have a worksheet that tracks ID and date
information and column flags on repeating rows, ie.
subject A001, 14-Apr-2004, S Flag, B Flag, W2 Flag etc...

The problem I have is, that the column flags are collected
on consecutive rows with the date as there unique
identifier...

The existing worksheet looks like this...

S B W2 W3
A001 | 14-Apr-04 | X | | | |
A001 | 22-Apr-04 | | X | | |
A001 | 23-Apr-04 | | | X | X |

I would like to combine all the information from this
sheet into a second sheet to show the dates beside the
flags on the SAME row in order to manipulate the data...

S Date B Date W2 Date
A001 | X | 14-Apr-04 | X | 22-Apr-04 | X | 23-Apr-04 |

I tried to use VLOOKUP but it will not recognize the
subsequent rows of the ID as it checks the first row of
the subject in the current sheet,

ie. for A001, it looks up the flags (lookup_value), loads
the information into the new sheet, then quits...therefore
not looking at the subsequent rows where the subject has
further information...

I tried to use concatenation to uniquely identify the row
record for the "lookup_value" of the VLOOKUP command
working on the sheet (I used the subject and column
heading in the concatenation...A001S), but I can't use the
same in the "table_array" portion of the function for
matching...

Can some one help...

Thanks in advance...