Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Vasant Nanavati Vasant Nanavati is offline

Default UDF: how to get value of the argument's adjacent cell?

And did the many other solutions offered not accomplish that?

--

Vasant

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
David Prout wrote in message

. ..
Add the function below into a module

Function Res(ValA, ValB)
Res = ValA * ValB
End Function

in cell B4 (or anywhere) type

=res(A1,A3)

DavidP

On 12 Apr 2004 21:42:12 -0700, (Andrew) wrote:

Hi
I need to write a function which will use two arguments, e.g. vala and
valb (not adjacent) as input values. This function should refer
adjacent cells of vala and valb to calculate result for example:

A B
1 adj_vala vala

2

3 adj_valb valb

4 adj_vala + adj_valb

So UDF to calculate B4, as I see it, will lool like (I don't know how
to get adj_vala and adj_valb in the UDF below):

Function Result(vala As Long, valb As Long) As Long

Dim adj_vala As Long
Dim adj_valb As Long

' get value of the left adjacent cell of vala
adj_vala = ???

' get value of the left adjacent cell of valb
adj_valb = ???

Result = adj_vala + adj_valb

End Function

The example above describes simplifed version of more complex logic I
have to implement, but idea will be the same...

Thanks a lot,
Andrew

Hi David, thanks for your reply but I need to get values of A1 and A3
inside my function, and my function shouldn't use A1 and A3 value as
arguments, arguments are B1 and B3, not A1 and A3!!! As I said this is
a simplified logic I am going to use, complete solution will scan
adjacent cell untill a condition will be met. In order to implement
this I have to somehow get A1 and A3 values in my function.