Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Williams Tim Williams is offline

Default how to get value of the argument's adjacent cell?

Change your function definition to take range parameters instead of
longs

Function Result(rng1 As Range, rng2 As Range) As Long

Dim adj_vala As Long
Dim adj_valb As Long

' get value of the left adjacent cell of vala
adj_vala = rng1.offset(0,-1).value
adj_valb = rng2.offset(0,-1).value
Result = adj_vala + adj_valb

End Function

Tim.

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I need to write a function which will use two arguments, e.g. vala

and
valb (not adjacent) as input values. This function should refer
adjacent cells of vala and valb to calculate result for example:

A B
1 adj_vala vala

2

3 adj_valb valb

4 adj_vala + adj_valb

So UDF to calculate B4, as I see it, will lool like (I don't know

how
to get adj_vala and adj_valb in the UDF below):

Function Result(vala As Long, valb As Long) As Long

Dim adj_vala As Long
Dim adj_valb As Long

' get value of the left adjacent cell of vala
adj_vala = ???

' get value of the left adjacent cell of valb
adj_valb = ???

Result = adj_vala + adj_valb

End Function

The example above describes simplifed version of more complex logic

have to implement, but idea will be the same...

Thanks a lot,
Andrew