Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Frank Kabel Frank Kabel is offline

Default showing current date as part of file name

Hi
try something like the following:

Sub foo()
Dim old_fname
Dim new_fname
Dim save_fname
old_fname = "040409 Securities.xls"
new_fname = Format(Date, "MMDDYY") & Mid(old_fname, 7)
save_fname = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(new_fname)
MsgBox save_fname
'Me.SaveAs Filename:=save_fname

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

Leslie wrote:
I have a workbook created in Excel 2002. Its name always includes the
current date, for example: "040409 Securities.xls". (I have always
formatted the date as YYMMDD, but would change that format if it
assisted my doing what I mention below.) The file is updated Monday
through Friday afternoons each week.

I have recently automated almost every step of the updating. Now,
when I open the most recent file, all updating is done automatically
up to and including the opening of the Save As dialog box. However,
that box always includes, in the default file name for saving, a date
earlier than the current date. I then have to change that date
manually to today's date before saving the file.

I found in an old MS KB article (139723) a method of prompting in the
Save As dialog box to save a file with a particular name:
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show ("xxx.xls"). That also
worked for Excel 2002, I found.

However, is there a way in which I can have that box prompt me to
save the file with the date part of the file name already being
whatever is the current date?