Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
edsox5 edsox5 is offline

Default Vlookup, table array is referenced in another cell

This shouldn't be this difficult I feel!

I am trying to do a basic Vlookup, referencing an array and returning a
specific value. The trick is the location of the array is in a
different excel workbook, which is defined in a seperate cell.

In cell A1 lies the path of the workbook as well as the sheet name and
array info

A1='\\server\sharedfolder\[LCV.xls]QTR'!H:I

In cell A2 is the lookup, which searches for the value "25th" in the
range defined in cell A1, and returns the value in the second column.

A2=VLOOKUP("25th",A1,2,FALSE)

The problem is, this doesn't work, it won't accept what I have in A1 as
a range, I have tried messing with the single quotes and a few other
format type things in A1, but cannot get this to work.

This does work

=VLOOKUP("25th",'\\server\sharedfolder\[LCV.xls]QTR'!H:I,2,FALSE)

so I know my array is correct.

Please HELP!

Ed

---