Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:38:04 -0700, "ramdalen"
wrote:

I use Excel to evaluate the results from different competitions. For exemple
I use an start hour (2005-06-12 09.10.00) and the finish time (2005-06-17
17.39.14) from an offshore sailing race to get the hours sailed. Then I can
convert the hours (128.29.14) to decimal hour by using the =HOUR() etc to
extract the hour, minuts etc. With the decimal hour I can calculate the speed
in km/h or in this case knots.

But my question is how I can go the other way to convert decimal hour (1,5)
to time format (01.30.00)?

Methinks you are making things more complicated than necessary.

I am assuming that in your locale, the '.' is the time separator, equivalent to
":" in the US.

Excel stores time as fractions of a day.

So to obtain the average speed:

=Distance/((EndTime-StartTime)*24)

and format as General, or Number with the requisite number of decimal places.

To convert decimal hour to time:

=DecHr/24

and format as time, or as [h]:mm:ss.000 if you don't want the result expressed
in days.

--ron