Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ken Wright Ken Wright is offline

Default Personal.xls won't start automatically

I've replicated the damn thing on every drive I've got, including a USB pendrive
as well. I go all cold and shivery if I can't access my damn file (On someone
else's machine for example), and the thought of losing it..............
<shivers

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
I have my personal.xla backed up in a couple of folders (at home and at
work)--in a zip file version, too. It's on a couple of those

thumbdrives--just
stopped backing up to floppy.

Too much work (well, by others--copying and pasting from the NG's is my
responsibility <bg) to lose!

Bob Phillips wrote:

aah yes, the backups. I'll just get my off-site backups now <vbg

Bob

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If it really isn't opening (after you've checked for a hidden workbook),

try
Help|About Microsoft Excel|and click on disabled items.

xl2002 added a "quarantine" function for workbooks that it thinks are

damaged.
And it's easy to just click on "yes" to the "do you want the offending

workbook
disabled".

But if excel was really correct that your workbook is damaged, you may

have to
use your backup copy.

Shatin wrote:

My understanding is that the personal.xls is supposed to open at start

up
automatically. Don't know why but my doesn't. It's placed in this

directory:

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\XLSTART\

So I choose "Tools|Option|General|At start up, open all files in: " and

put
the above path into the textbox. Still the same result, personal.xls

just
won't be opened at start up.

I wonder what the problem is. Have I changed some setting inadvertently?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson