Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Alan Beban[_4_] Alan Beban[_4_] is offline

Default How do I assign values to an array?

Harlan Grove wrote:
. . . There *IS* both performance drag and additional storage overhead storing dynamic
arrays in variant scalars, but for a 5-entry array of singles those drags
combined would be less than the memory and execution time drag of adding and
calling your Assign macro. Your Assign macro has limited potential utility for
large arrays, in which case the function call and processing overhead would
likely be a small percentage of the overall runtime, but it's a gross waste of
resources when dealing with small arrays. Since you lack any professional
experience programming, it's not surprising you continue to fail to realize
this. . . .

It's not that I fail to realize it; it's that I realize something else
that seems difficult for you to accept. There are users with
applications out there who couldn't care less that a step in their
procedure, which takes 200 nannoseconds to execute, could, with some
judicious analysis and choice of tradeoffs, be optimized to take only 10
nannoseconds to execute. Painful as it may be for a professional
programmer/developer to swallow, it is often OK with such users that a
particular algorithm be "a gross waste of resources", because in their
circumstances that is irrelevant to whether they effectively get their
work done.

Alan Beban