Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Harlan Grove[_5_] Harlan Grove[_5_] is offline

Default Calling Excel array functions in VBA

"Bob Phillips" wrote...
I thought this, but it just gives me an error 2015.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
varr = Evaluate("SMALL(A1:10,{1,2,3})")

This doesn't seem to work in Excel 97 either. But the following does.

varr = Evaluate("INDEX(SMALL(A1:A10,{1,2,3}),0)")

Just another case of the wonders and mysteries of Excel's array semantics, which
Microsoft has never bothered to document in detail, perhaps because no one at
Microsoft knows what those semantics are either.

To be more precise, if I enter

=SMALL(A1:A10,{1,2,3})

as a nonarray formula in a cell, I get the same result as if I had entered the
array formula

=INDEX(SMALL(A1:A10),{1,2,3}),1)

in a cell. However, if I enter the nonarray formula

=IF(A1:A10AVERAGE(A1:A10),A1:A10)

in any cell in B11:IV65536 (so implicit indexing doesn't kick in), this formula
returns #VALUE!. However, entering the same formula as an array formula in a
single cell gives the first entry from the array result.

Functions that invariably return #VALUE! when not entered as array formulas
return arrays when called from Evaluate. Functions that return nonerror values
when not entered as array formulas return only the first value when called from
Evaluate. AIN'T EXCEL SWELL?! Wanna make a bet blinking text makes it into Excel
as a cell format option before Microsoft adds any orthogonality to its array
semantics?

--
To top-post is human, to bottom-post and snip is sublime.