JMB

Most of the time, I use it to serve as a conditional for an IF statement. If
you don't tell the IF statement what to return if the condition you are
testing is false, it will return FALSE (a boolean value). I use "" as it
makes the spreadsheet look cleaner. If I have a lot of dependent
calculations that may not like "" and I don't care how clean the spreadsheet
looks, I'll have the IF statement return zero.

"Easydoesit" wrote:

What are the advantages in returning an empty string text cell versus just
leaving it blank?

"JMB" wrote in message
empty string. you probably see them mostly in IF statements. Excel won't
display anything on the screen, but it is not the same as entering a zero
value because it has a text format. So you could run into problems if
dependent cells are trying to perform calculations on a cell that returns
(or
could return) an empty string.

"Easydoesit" wrote:

What do the empty set of quotes mean in some of the functions and
formulas
described here?