Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
GB[_2_] GB[_2_] is offline

Default Dates

joeu2004 wrote:
"GB" wrote:
GB wrote:
I have a whole column of dates nicely formatted the way
I want (eg "Wednesday 28 December 2011"). I want to
concatenate those dates with an another column of text.

[....]
what I wanted was
Wednesday 28 December 2011 <followed by the text I added

[....]
I found this link, and the solution there works, but is
there nothing more straightforward?

Don't know you standard for "straigtht-forward". That's basic the
way to do it.

If your dates are in A1:A1000 and your additional text is in
B1:B1000, put the following formula into C1 and copy down through
C1000:
=TEXT(A1,"dddd dd mmmm yyyy") & " " & B1

That assumes you want to separate the date and additional text by one
space, and the text in column B does not start with a space.

If you want the new values in C1:C1000 to overwrite either A1:A1000 or
B1:B1000, you can copy C1:C1000, select A1:A1000 for example,
right-click and click on Paste Special, select Values, then click OK.

If all the text in column B are the same, you could simply format
A1:A1000 with the following Custom date:

dddd dd mmmm yyyy" yourText"

And you could dispense with either change by writing a macro. But
that does not meet __my__ definition of "straight-forward" ;-).

Thanks for your helpful answer, confirming that's the way to do it.

--
Register as an organ donor with the NHS online. It takes 1 minute and
saves you carrying an organ donor card with you.