Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA back compatibility

HI Mark,

I (and im sure you do too) find the compatibility issue of great

importance
and that should be acknowledged by Microsoft if it cares for its
developers.

Ideally yes, but I just think that it is impossible to cover all of the
bases, and MS have to make commercial decisions. We either accept those
decisions, or vote with out feet (or wallet). It is clear where the evidence
points.

You are rigt, it's too easy, to criticise MS. But it should be done, so

that
they can become aware of the problem. I know that Office is a vast product
that is constantly beeing developed. But look at such products as Java and
the Linux Kernel.

In the MS world these are pretty small beer. Java can equate to VB, or C++,
or VB.Nert, or ... Get my point, MS has all these and more. And then they
have Office, ADO, various Windows OS', and so much more.

The strive
for better documentation is the hallmark of every great software company!

Not sure I can fully subscribe to that. I know many companies that are so
obsessed by process and documentation, that innovation and craetivity are
stifled.

Yeah probably, but then again Joe User is only using Office to write

letters
and do some simple spreadsheet exercises.

Where I live, Joe User does minutes in Excel (sic!), and plans in Excel.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending MS, but I am cognisant of what their
drivers are, and thety are a lot differenet that what Paul Allen envisaged,
even if they are still what Mr Gates envisaged. And as I said, we either
accept, or take dramatic action.

Bob