Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Debra Dalgleish Debra Dalgleish is offline

Default Data Validation erratic bevavior

Both references will have the Normal1 sheet name, but if you look at
InsertNameDefine while BadSheet is selected, it may show the BadSheet
name at the right side of the Names list:

AllParts BadSheet

Or, while on BadSheet, select a cell in an empty column, and choose
InsertNamePaste. Select AllParts, and click PasteList.
See what range is listed for AllParts.

Otto Moehrbach wrote:
Debra
Thanks for your response. I checked both lists and both references
carry the sheet name.
I just renamed the BadSheet something else and then inserted a new blank
sheet and rebuilt the Data Validation cells but in the new sheet (without
copying anything from BadSheet). All works well. Does this indicate to you
that BadSheet is corrupted? Thanks again. Otto
"Debra Dalgleish" wrote in message

Perhaps you have a sheet level range named AllParts, and a workbook
level range named AllParts.

Select BadSheet, choose InsertNameDefine, and see if AllParts shows
the sheet name in the list of named ranges.

Otto Moehrbach wrote:

Tom
Thanks for your reply. The naming of the list is done by code. The
code copies/pastes (shorter) lists from several sheets to make one

longer

list. All this is within a For loop because there are two final lists

to be

setup and named.
Rng.Name = RngName
Looking at Insert - Name - select "AllParts", the reference is absolute.
Otto
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message

What does the formula for AllParts (refers to ) look like. Are you

using

relative references? they should be absolute.

Refersto: =Normal1!$A$1:$A$47

Tom Ogilvy

Otto Moehrbach wrote in message
.. .

Excel 2003, WinXP
I have one list (column), named AllParts, with 47 items on sheet

Normal1.

I do a Data Validation in a cell in sheet Normal1 with List and

"=AllParts".

I get the whole list.

I do Data Validation, the same, in a cell in sheet Normal2. I get the

whole

list

I do it all again in a cell in the sheet where I want it, call it

BadSheet,

and all I get is the first 14 items from the list.

I reset the range name AllParts to another, completely different list.

I go to the cell in BadSheet, clear the Data Validation, redo the Data
Validation to =AllParts. I get the same 14 items from the first

AllParts

list.

Is this sheet corrupted or have I lost it? Thanks for your help. Otto

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List