Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Frank Kabel Frank Kabel is offline

Default macro or vb to alternating row color

Hi Peter
this can be shortened to
=MOD(ROW(),2)=1

see also
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm
for more general formulas
Frank

Peter M wrote:
MGM

The easiest way of achieving this is to use the conditional formating
facility. Firstly select all the cells that you want the formating
to apply too. Then on the worksheet menu bar select Format,
Conditional Format.

In the left hand dropdown box choose 'Formula Is' rather than the
default 'Cell Value Is'. In the edit box that then appears enter:

=IF(MOD(ROW(),2)=1,TRUE,FALSE)

Then click on the 'Format' button and set the Pattern style to grey
(or whatever other colour you fancy).

If you want a wider spacing between highlighted lines simply change
the number in the formula above, for example:

=IF(MOD(ROW(),5)=1,TRUE,FALSE) highlights every 5th row.

This is much easier than using VB.

Hope it works for you!

Peter Morris
"mgm" wrote in message
I would like to have my spreadsheets to have rows that have a
color/grey alternate to make reading the data clearer and easier to
follow. Is there a way to write a macro or vba that could be
triggered and accessed by all my workbooks?