Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Excel automation

I believe you can do the older version with

Start=Run= path to specific verions of excel 2002/excel.exe /unregserver

Run

Then

path to older verion of excel/Excel.exe /Regserver

Run

then you can automate the older version, then reset the registry.

Tom Ogilvy

"Tushar Mehta" wrote in message
I could only test with XL2002 (since it was the last one installed on
my machine).

What happens is that when the workbook is closed, XL also goes away.
It's almost as if there is some application level setting that reminds
it that it was started via automation.

However, unlike your experience where XL97 remains in memory, XL2002
does not show up in the Win XP Task Manager. So, I assume it went away
properly.

It looks like you will have to come up with a detour. Maybe, you can
have an application level event procedure in an XL add-in that checks
if Windows.Count = 0 and if so does a application.quit?

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
Perhaps I didn't explain it properly!!! - very probably.

ok here's what happens.

when my code finishes running I leave excel open for the user to edit

the spreadsheet and save etc.

at the end of my code running is
set wbRoster = nothing 'the workbook
set xlapp = nothing 'the instance of excel

while the workbook is still open, if the user closes excel, no excel.exe

in processes in task manager - as expected i agree.

however, if the user closes the workbook only, the instance of excel

disappears so it can't be physically closed, and therefore it still appears
in the processes in the task manager.

my aim is to have excel closed whether the user closes the workbook OR

the application.

Hope this clarifies my problem.

Thanks
Michelle