Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.vb.winapi,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Pete Winnard Pete Winnard is offline

Default How to read active Excel celll value by external vb application?

it looks like the lines
wkb.Worksheets(1).Cells(10, 10).Select
MsgBox ActiveCell.Value
are programatically selecting the cell I 10 and showing the value of that
try putting something in i10 and see if it gives you a value

Pete
"Jack" <replyto@newsgroup wrote in message
Hello,
I've asked that question before but that thread appears dead

now.
My applications is developed in vbasic5.
I need for it to get Windows notification when user clicks on the cell and
retrieve the cell value.

I did exactly as Rob van Gelder advised me in the another thread.
1. I installed Excel and load the reference to Excel Object Library in my
vbasic5 code.
2. I created Class1 module and put the following code in there.
---------------
Public WithEvents app As Excel.Application

Private Sub app_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As
Range)
MsgBox "Selection Changed"
End Sub
--------------------
3. I put the another code in Form_Load of my app:
--------------------
Dim cls As New Class1, wkb As Excel.Workbook

Set cls.app = New Excel.Application

Set wkb = cls.app.Workbooks.Add
wkb.Worksheets(1).Cells(10, 10).Select
MsgBox ActiveCell.Value
wkb.Close
cls.app.Quit
Set cls.app = Nothing
Set cls = Nothing
-------------------

When I start my app I have message: "Selection changed" (although I did
nothing to my Excel sheet) followed by the empty message box (MsgBox
ActiveCell.Value).
When I select another cell in Excel there is not any notification my app

is
aware of.
It looks like ActiveCell.Value is not able to retrieve the cell value

What I need is:
1. Get notified the user clicked on Excel cell
2. Retrieve the value of that cell

Please help,
Jack

"Rob van Gelder" wrote in message
Jack,

You'll probably need a reference to Excel Object Library.

To answer your other e-mail

In a class module (in this example called Class1)
Public WithEvents app As Excel.Application

Private Sub app_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As
Range)
MsgBox "Selection Changed"
End Sub

Then somewhere in your code:
Sub test()
Dim cls As New Class1, wkb As Excel.Workbook

Set cls.app = New Excel.Application

Set wkb = cls.app.Workbooks.Add
wkb.Worksheets(1).Cells(10, 10).Select

wkb.Close
cls.app.Quit
Set cls.app = Nothing
Set cls = Nothing

"Jack" <replyto@newsgroup wrote in message
Thank you, but I need more help.
I tried your line in my vbasic5 but it is complaining about

ActiveCell
:
"Variable not defined"
I guess I need to load some reference or component. What is it?
Jack

"Rob van Gelder" wrote in

message
Jack,

MsgBox ActiveCell.Value

"Jack" <replyto@newsgroup wrote in message
Hello,
I am not user of Excel and I am not familiar with it at

all.
I am programming in visual basic 5 and I've never used VBA.
For my vbasic5 code I need to retrieve the content of the Excel

cell
user
has clicked on.
Please advise how can I do that.