Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Largest value in a range

Hi Frank,

Missed that subtle nuance. INDEX(MATCH?

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Frank Kabel" wrote in message
Hi Bob
this was my first idea also, but this will return 11 for his example
data but the OP wants -11.
So I'm still trying to create a simpler formula - but did not
succeed....

Best regards
Frank

Bob Phillips wrote:
Miles,

Not non-array, but simpler

=MAX(ABS(A1:A100))

"Milos Setek" wrote in message
Hi all,

Is there a nice non-array formula (or a more efficient array
formula) to compute the largest value (positive or negative) in a
range such as this one:

-5, 2, 0, -2, 10, -11.

In this case the answer is -11.

I use this formula but I think there should be something better than
that.

{=IF(MAX(range)=MAX(ABS(range)),MAX(range),-MAX(range)))}

Thanks for any tips.

Milos.