Domenic

Try...

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:G7,{"AAB","BMN"},0))),B1:H7)

OR

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:G7,J1:J2,0))),B1:H7)

....where J1:J2 contains your letters, such as AAB and BMN. In your
example, both these formulas would return 296.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"Peter FS" wrote:

I appreciate the reply by you and others. It may well be because I did not
make myself clear so none of the formulae worked. Why don't I copy a portion
of the sheet and show you folks how it looks like

AAB 4 BMN 12 AAB 8 AAB 11
AAB 5 BMN 32 BMN 6 UWO 23
BMN 67 VBN 4 UWO 45 BMN 4
BMN 34 AAB 5 AAB 3 AAB 7
BMN 2 BMN 7 AAB 2 BMN 2
BMN 3 AAB 9 AAB 1 BMN 3
UWO 7 AAB 2 UWO 8 BMN 67

The idea is that I can run a function to look up all those same combinations
and provide the sum of the corresponding values in the adjacent cells. Thanks
in advance again!