Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ken Rangel Ken Rangel is offline

Default RTD UpdateNotify()

Hello,

I wrote an RTD server that calls IRTDUpdateEvent.UpdateNotify() once every
time my server receives an update from my data provider. If have found
that, in certain circumstances, Excel will never call RefreshData() even
after serveral calls to UpdateNotify(). To resolve this, I made another
thread that, upon receiving new data, will call UpdateNotify() every .1
seconds until Excel calls RefreshData(). My question is this: Does one call
to UpdateNotify() neccessarily mean that Excel will call RefreshData(), or
is it possible for Excel to ignore (and forget about) some UpdateNotify()
calls.

Also, my solution seems to work well, but I am a little leery of introducing
another thread with all of this COM running around-- does anyone know the
'best practice' for calling UpdateNotify()?

Thanks in advance,

Ken Rangel