Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jake Marx[_3_] Jake Marx[_3_] is offline

Default Excel interpreting HTML and CR/LF

Hi Steve,

You can use the style "mso-data-placement:same-cell" on the br elements to
tell Excel to keep them in the same cell. Here's an example:

<head
<!--
br {mso-data-placement:same-cell}
//--
</head
<tdThis is a test.<br<brThis is only a test.</td
<tdtest 2</td
<tdThis is test 3. <br<br<br Notice the 2 line break</td
<tdtest 4</td

I figured this out by doing what I wanted in Excel, then looking at the
source code in the Script Editor (Alt+Shift+F11). I noticed the style
applied to the br elements, and that seemed to do the trick when I added it
to a simple HTML document. The browser will ignore styles like that, as
they are proprietary Office styles.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

Steve Flook wrote:
Hope this is the right newsgroup - just yell at me if not :)

My ASP app allows users to save certain dynamic data as excel
spreadsheets and the method I chose to accomplish this was to simply
create an table in HTML with my data and tell the browser to use the
excel mime type. Works great - even little functions like SUM that
you can you inside Excel directly. My problem is there is a notes
column in this dataset which contains line breaks for between
paragraphs. When Excel interprets <br, <p, etc it automatically
creates a new row. I need excel to honor those tags as it would if
you were in the desktop application and used [alt] + [enter] to
create a new line inside a single cell.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- vbscript's chr(10) and chr(13)
- <br, <p
- wrapping my text inside <p text text </p tags
- "# & 1 0 ;" and "# & 1 3 ;" w/o spaces

How can I tell Excel to not break CR/LF chars into a new row, and
just stick with the table structure I give it? Any leads are much
appreciated.