Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Hank Scorpio Hank Scorpio is offline

Default Introduction to VB and Excel

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:27:24 +0100, "Mark" wrote:

My boss gave me the following assignment. Please make an interface between
GAMS and EXCEL. This interface should have a lot of functionality and be
able to visualise data.

Your boss is a real precise kinda person. Although I suppose s/he
could have just said "Gimmie something and make it do stuff"... 8^

What is the easiest way to accomplish this? I thought of using EXCEL and VB
to make an application that had the feel of being a standalone program and
use components/objects from EXCEL.

I'm not sure what GAMS is, but if it supports ODBC links then it
shouldn't be TOO hard (for certain values of "too") to use Excel as an
interface to it. Hey, if I could manage that with Oracle Financials,
then...

My question to you is: What book should i buy for reference/introduction ?
;-)

This isn't a bad one if its predecessors are any guide. (Sorry John, I
haven't seen the current edition yet):

http://j-walk.com/ss/books/xlbook25.htm

Don't be put off by the title if you're just starting with VBA; you'll
find that it gives you a good amount of groundwork as well.

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *