yesac142

Default Summing data

I am using Excel 2000 for work complete tracking. Each row represents
construction project. I have sets of columns as follows

ITEM = the pay item number, revenue and cost associated
QUANTITY = the amount of the ITEM to be billed
INVOICE = period (month) in which to bill the QUANTITY
CONTRACTOR = company responsible for the work

The above set of columns is repeated many times, as there are many
items to be billed for each project (row). I need to be able to sum
the Quantity per ITEM, INVOICE, and CONTRACTOR. Currently, I have the
following formula in a different sheet to sum each item, per 'set',
then I sum the sets. The formula is repeated for each item (rows) and
each 'set' (columns), which makes for a whole lot of formulas and a
large file. This works, but makes the worksheet slow.

=SUM(IF(invoice=$B$1,IF(item=$A14,IF(cont=$B$2,qty ,0),0),0))

I tried to be concise, but please let me know if this is too confusing.
Is there a cleaner way to do this?

Thanks!

--
yesac142