Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Hank Scorpio Hank Scorpio is offline

Default Similarly helpful AccessVB forum?

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 02:26:37 -0600, universal
wrote:

I wondered if anyone knew of a forum that came close to being as
friendly and knowledgable as this one, but for AccessVB?

Hmmm... it depends on what you mean by "this forum". I've noticed a
lot of posts with footers stating that the message was "posted from
http://www.ExcelForum.com/" recently, though I'd never seen that
site. I just took a look at it.

Really, I'm not sure how I feel about this. "Founded in March 2003 by
Joseph Rubin, ExcelTip.com has become the leading source of Microsoft
Excel tips, tricks and information on the web." Oh really? There y'go,
I did not know that. I guess Microsoft can close the KnowledgeBase
now.

Although the relevant page DOES mention that the "Forum" is an
interface to Usenet groups, IMHO it doesn't make it clear enough that
ExcelForum.com isn't the true source of that content. Most of the
answers that you'll see, the overwhelming proportion, in fact, are
from people who are NOT posting through or are in any way connected
with that site. As far as the part about "You can now reach the many
thousands of usenet users without having to grapple with complicated
news software and with the need to pay for a newsfeed" goes, first, if
you can run an e-mail program then you can run a newsreader, second if
you have an ISP account then you can connect to the Microsoft news
server directly for free, and third Microsoft has provided a web
interface to its groups for yonks as I'll come back to in a moment.
Granted, there seems to be OTHER locally produced content on the site
in terms of tips and tricks, but... well, it's not what you asked
about.

My recommendation would be to get a newsreader, which will allow you
to download all or any of the newsgroup content directly. But if you
still prefer a web interface, Microsoft provides one as well; one
which interfaces not just to Excel groups, but to all of the Microsoft
groups including Access ones. You'll find it he
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/

I'm just started and have got myself stuck on stLinkCriteria....

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *