Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DanL[_2_] DanL[_2_] is offline

Default GROUP

Take advantage of the Collection, which refuses to accept identical key
strings in its members.
Ignore the errors it generates & keep going.
try this...
select your (single) column data which needs to be 'grouped by'
this code will return the result set beginning in row 2 (assuming a header),
two columns away from your selected data

Sub GroupBy()
intResultColumn = Selection.Offset(0,2).Column
On Error Resume Next
Dim col As New Collection
For Each x In Selection
col.Add x.Value, x.Value
Next x
On Error GoTo 0
intCount = 1
For Each y In col
intCount = intCount + 1
ActiveSheet.Cells(intCount, intResultColumn).Value = y
Next y
End Sub

"Jochem" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I am looking for a function similar to the SQL function GROUP BY in
excel.

Basically what I want to do is make a list of all the unique variables
in a list. After that I want to use the COUNTIF function to make a
frequency table.

Thus from the list:

I want to get the list

Only the unique variables.

I am surprised that EXCEL doesn't have a pre-defined function for
this.

Anyone knows how to do it?

Jochem