Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jeff[_24_] Jeff[_24_] is offline

Default Directories

G'day Bob,

No wonder I have no hair left - pulled most of it out haha. Many kind thanks
for your advice. I'm afraid excel is new to me - access yes, excel no. I
really come from a COBOL background, so it takes time to learn

Thanks again mate
Jeff

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Jeff,

Easier to use the GetFileNameOpen method (look it up in VBA help). It is
file specific, but it doesn't open the file, but gives access to the

explore
type dialog, and returns the full path and name of the file chosen, which
you then open. You could open this file and then get the path for the
others, or parse it to get the path.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Nick HK" wrote in message
Jeff,
Give them an option to select the folder from which to work.
Look into the API BrowseForFolder, or use a control.

Save it path to a worksheet cell, or the registry and look it up each

time
it's needed.

NickHK

"Jeff" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| An application i'm developing, needs debugging. It's excel '95. When

it
was
| written, the viscual basic code behind a macro, went to look in a

specific
| directory on c:\ for the location of files/where to open files
|
| But now, one person could take the application and save it on any

drive
AND
| directory - eg, fred saves under h:\mywork\applications\data, whereas

mary
| might save to y:\officefiles\current
|
| So now the old chdrive "c:\" with chdir "c:\currentjobs\excel" is no

good,
| because dozens of users could save the files on ANYYYY hard drive AND

any
| directory = THOUSANDS of possible combinations
|
| How can i change the chdrive AND chdir code so that the application

will
| work/open files from fred's or marys or WHOVERS home drive and

directory