AHJuncti

Default Count Number of Characters in a cell?

Is there a way to check the number of characters that are in a cell, and
then if that number isn't what it is supposed to be add leading 0's till
it is the correct number?

We are getting some new accounts sent to us that use an 11 digit number
to represent the account number. Some of these have leading 0's in them
but excel loses them when sent over. So ideally I'd like to create
something that would look at the cell, count the characters and if it
is less than 11 add 0's to the front till it is 11 characters.

Ex: Account number 00123123123

It's sent to us and now looks like 123123123

I'd do the formula on the cell and get the original number back
00123123123

It's usually only missing 1 or 2 0's. It's very rare that the number
starts with 3 0's.

If anyone has any suggestions it's appreceated.

Thanks

--
AHJuncti
AHJuncti's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4809