Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Chip Pearson Chip Pearson is offline

Default backwards find function to find character in a string of text

Ashleigh,

In Excel 2000 and later, you can use the InStrRev function to
search right to left. E.g.,

Dim Pos As Long
Pos = InStrRev(S, "\", -1, vbTextCompare)

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Ashleigh K." wrote in message
Hello All,

I'm having a problem doing something that seems like it would

be relatively
simple....I have a value in a cell which is actually the

directory path and
name of another workbook (i.e.
\\Server1\clients\clientA\financials\financialstat ement.xls)

and I would
like to get just the file name by itself. The name

"financialstatements"
will vary, so I will need a function/macro that can take

whatever is between
the last "\" and ".xls" and return that value to a cell. I have

been unable
to use the right function with the find function because the

find function
starts at the beginning of the string and therefore returns the

first "\".
Is there a way to start from the end of the string instead of

the beginning?
Thanks in advance,

Ashleigh