Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Michael VS Michael VS is offline

Default Can I do graphic manipulation with VBA?

Hi

A few years ago I used Visual Basic for low level programming. I
recently discovered VBA and is still very new to it, but keen to
learn... provided I am sure it can do what I eventually plan to do...
If what I describe below is beyond VBA then I would like to know this
before I spend months trying to learn a tool that may not be all that
useful afterall.

I want to put together a little VBA application that conatins a simple
user interface where input values are defined and written to text
files. Then I want to run some external DOS-type executable files that
in turn will generate other output text files.

I reckon the above will be simple enough?

However, then I want to generate bitmaps or images derived from some of
the previously mentioned text files. I am not sure if this can be done
using the standard type graphs of Excel - or is there another way of
doing this. Essentailly I want to control where (x,y) I plot pixels and
in which colour and how big the pixels must be. I may also want to plot
individual little polygons in stead of pixels.

Finally I would want to manipulate the graphics - i.e., I would want to
select individual picture elements and perhaps change some of their
properties (e.g. colour, size etc) OR I may even want to move (drag)
them to new positions (with the associated text files being
automatically updated).

Can the above be done using VBA or will I be better off with a more
scientifically orientated language such as IDL?

Thanks
Michael VS

---