Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:01:09 -0700, "Jerry"
wrote:

I read a file of hex numbers into Excel. I then paste the function HEX2DEC
into
coulumn C. I select column A (where the file of hex numbers were entered) as
the
numbers to convert. The vast majority of the numbers are converted correctly,
however hex numbers such as 34e3 are converted as if they are in sciencetic
notation. example
1.00E+08 4294967296 WRONG should be 1e08 = 7688
1.00E+08 4294967296
00000010d8 4312 right
1.10E+07 285212672
2.00E+18 #NUM!
2.00E+10 #NUM!
2.00E+46 #NUM!
2.00E+46 #NUM!

and I have seen 5dec be converted as a date!

What am I doing wrong? How do I tell Excel that column A is strictly hex
numbers?

You don't specify what you mean by "read a file of hex numbers into Excel"

There are a variety of ways of doing this.

For what you are doing, you need to "read" it in as TEXT.

If you are opening a .txt file, this should bring up the data/text to columns
wizard which has an option for importing the data as text.

If you are opening a .csv file, you can rename it to a .txt file before opening
it.

If you are copying the data and then pasting it into Excel, try formatting the
target as TEXT prior to pasting in the data.

Post back with more information.

--ron