Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Daniel Klann Daniel Klann is offline

Default Identifying commandbar names in non-English versions of Excel

Thanks Tom/Bob/Ron,

It seems as though I might be lucky and in most situations my code will
work. If I do get anyone saying it doesn't then I'll offer a fix based on
what their commandbar name happens to be. For anyone that is interested
here is my project (it's an Excel add-in) :
http://www.danielklann.com/excel/exc...tes_add-in.htm - just download
the zip file from the link at the bottom of the page.

Regards,
Daniel Klann

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Never mind Ron. Apparently we are not communicating. Sorry.

Tom Ogilvy

Ron de Bruin wrote in message
Hi Tom

the top menu items like File, View and Tools, in a non-English

regional
version they display a different name on the menu (.namelocal), but

you
can
still refer to them by the English name (.name).

If I understand you correct this is not always true

In a French version for example instead of Help you see ? in the
Worksheet Menu Bar

You can't use Help in your code
I use the the Findcontrol then to avoid the problem

Set winHelpMenu = Application.CommandBars(1).FindControl(, 30010)

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003)

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message

That is the way it should work Ron. It is kind of moot for Cell, but

for
the top menu items like File, View and Tools, in a non-English

regional
version they display a different name on the menu (.namelocal), but

you
can
still refer to them by the English name (.name). Stephen was saying

that in
some regional versions, the localization team changed the .name

property
value and the English name doesn't work. Perhaps they have corrected

this
in the later Dutch versions. (which is what you "discovery" would
indicate).

Anyway, top level menus are both commandbars and controls - I believe

your
code will get ID's that identify them as controls and would not work

in
Commandbar vice control usage.

Tom Ogilvy

Ron de Bruin wrote in message
Strange

If I use the namelocal in dutch for Cell I get Cel
If I run this I get a error

Sub test()
MsgBox Application.CommandBars("Cell").NameLocal
Application.CommandBars("Cel").Enabled = False
End Sub

I must use this in the Dutch version also
Application.CommandBars("Cell").Enabled = False

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003)

"Ron de Bruin" wrote in message
I just test it and all the commandbars names are the same in the
Dutch version.

Use the ID for the items that are in the commandbar(see the macro

posted)

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003)

"Bob Phillips" wrote in

message
It also occurred to me since my last post that as Dutch seems to

be
the
biggest offender, perhaps Ron de Bruin, or another of our Dutch
colleagues,
could supply a list of the Dutch names.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Daniel Klann" wrote in message
Never mind. I thought I had searched the archives pretty
thoroughly. I
just did an Advanced Google Groups search and found this :
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q3C1214F6 God bless Stephen

Bullen!

Regards,
Dan

"Bob Phillips" wrote in

message
Daniel,

Not sure if this is much use to you, but this code prints

all
the
commandbar
names

Dim cb As CommandBar

For Each cb In CommandBars
Debug.Print cb.Name
Next cb

You would need to figure which non-English name matches the
English
version,
and I assume it will work in non-English apps.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Daniel Klann" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

I use code that adds a button to the 'Cell' commandbar

(this
is
the
commandbar that appears when you right click in a

worksheet
cell). I
want
to ensure that my code will work in all versions of Excel

from
2003
(this has been tested successfully) and in non-English

versions
of
Excel.

Can anyone tell me if the commandbars names are different

in
non-English
versions? If they are then how would I get a reference to

the
Cell
commandbar in code? I can't use the Index property as it

seems
to be
different depending on which version one is using. Also,

thought
about
using the FindControl method on one of the Cell

commandbar's
buttons
and
then getting the Parent property. The problem with this

is
that
each
button
on the Cell commandbar exists on other commandbars so I

can't be
sure
I'm
getting the right one.