Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rob van Gelder[_4_] Rob van Gelder[_4_] is offline

Default opening or activating another workbook file

Paul,

Sub tesit()
Dim wkb As Workbook
On Error GoTo e
Set wkb = Workbooks("myFile.xls")
On Error GoTo 0
wkb.Activate

Exit Sub
e: Workbooks.Open "C:\T\myFile.xls"
Resume
End Sub

Rob

"Paul James" wrote in message
Happy New Year to everyone!

I'm trying to create a procedure that does the following:

1. opens a workbook named "myFile.xls" and makes that newly opened

workbook
the active workbook.
2. if that workbook is already open but is not the active workbook, then

it
makes myFile.xls the active workbook.

I'd like to accomplish this without causing the user to click through

alerts
or message boxes when the procedure runs.

In this application, myFile.xls always exists in the current directory, so
there's no need to use the dir command to change directories, or to

specify
the directory path. Under these circumstances, I know you can open the

file
using

Workbooks.Open Filename:="myFile.xls"

and if I knew it was already open, you could activate it using

Windows("myFile.xls").Activate

But how do I handle it if I don't know whether the file is alerady open,

and
I need to make it the active workbook?

Thank you in advance.