alisonmacd

Default extract from worksheet

This may be simple but I've never tried it in a pc environment.

I have a large worksheet (35000 rows) and a small worksheet. On the
large there is a column, Name, which is in the format 'surname,
forename'. In the smaller one I have one field Surname and a separate
field called Forename. These were not created by me nor the same
person so this is why they aren't consistant.

I'd like to extract rows from the large worksheet where the name is
matched on the smaller one and create a new worksheet. Each Name may
appear many times on the large so the extract could be one row or 20
(for example). I'd then like to do subtotals by person.

I wondered how best to do this in Excel. Would I have to use VBA and
if so would it be fairly straightforward? The smaller worksheet is
quite big but if it'd make coding simpler I could manually change the 2
fields to one.

I've done this sort of thing previously but in the mainframe
environment but don't know where to start with the pc environment.

Help will be appreciated,
Alison.

--
alisonmacd