Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike Tomasura Mike Tomasura is offline

Default Creating properly formatted text file from vbscript using excel data

You can save an excel file as tab delimited after you open it.

ChDir "C:\WINDOWS\Desktop"
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:="C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Blank Excel1.txt", _
FileFormat:=xlText, CreateBackup:=False

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
I have an excel spreadsheet named test.xls with A1:B2 populated this way:

A B
~ ~
1 2
3 4

What I want to do from VBScript is copy that data and export it to a tab
deliminated text file.

For example, I can create a document called hello.txt and in it, it would
have
1 2
3 4

I just started playing around with this and have the following so far:
'================================
Dim Xl
Dim myData

myData=""

Set Xl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Xl.Workbooks.Open("C:\test.xls")
Xl.Sheets("Sheet1").Select

for each r in Xl.Range("A1","B2")
myData = myData & r.value & vbTab
next

msgbox myData

Set Xl = Nothing

I haven't created the text file yet (that's trivial). The problem is that
the output comes as follows:

1 2 3 4