Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default comparing text

starget = "word"
If instr(1,ActiveCell.Value,sTarget,vbTextCompare) Then
msgbox Activecell.Offset(0,1).Value
End if

A faster approach might be to use the Find method (the VBA equipvalent of
Edit=Find).

look at the help example (in the VBE) for the Find METHOD.

Also, turn on the macro recorder and do Find manually to get sample code.
Tom Ogilvy

"bely" wrote in message
I'm trying to write a simple search that would check the contents of a
cell for a variable search word. These cells contain several sentences
so I need it to pluck the word out of the cells and provide me with the
value in the next column. I can figure out how to do almost everything
else except compare the value of the cells with the search variable.

so how would i say this for example

If (any part of) activecell.value = Variable then msgbox
activecell.value

thanks everybody, Im new to this and appreciate any help greatly!

---