Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Andy Wiggins Andy Wiggins is offline

Default using vlookup, but error #N/A

1) Your formula is testing whether the result of the MATCH is #N/A. If that
returns TRUE (ie. the result is #N/A) then VLOOKUP is going to try and look
up something that the formula has established doesn't exist.
2) Your formula doesn't have a FALSE condition.

Try using this version:

IF(ISNA(MATCH(A5,PATIENTS!$A$2:$A$2070,FALSE)),"", VLOOKUP(A5,PATIENTS!$A$2:$
M$2070,3,FALSE))

Notice the additional ,"", which will return a blank if the test returns
TRUE.

--

Regards
Andy Wiggins

"ErinGertz" wrote in message

I'm trying to type in a social security number and then write a vlookup

formula for the next cell so it pulls up the patient's last name. The
worksheet I need to pull the info from is called PATIENTS. That sheet is
set up so that the first column has the social, then 2nd column is another
identifying #, then the 3rd column is the patient's last name. The first
box that I type in the social security number in the current worksheet is
A5. This is the formula I've written:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A5,PATIENTS!$A$2:$A$2070,FALSE)),VL OOKUP(A5,PATIENTS!$A$2:$M$
2070,3,FALSE))

But I keep getting the error message #N/A

Please help!