Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jon Peltier[_4_] Jon Peltier[_4_] is offline

Default international problem, decimal separator and chart series

Hi Brian -

Duh, I should have thought of Array. When building a string, you need
to also include the "{" and "}" around the strings containing comma
separated values.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Brian Murphy wrote:

Hello Jon,

Hope things are well with you and family.

I ran into even more serious problems the way I was doing this. But I now have it cured by using the Array function instead of pseudo strings.

With Selection
'change to use Array for setting hardwired chart values 12/15/2003
.XValues = Array(xmn, xmx)
.Values = Array(ymn, ymx)

I should have done it this way in the first place. This works in every case I have tested, and seems to be immune to "international" issues.

Cheers,

Brian

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message ...

Brian -

I don't know why CStr would be needed for one of them, while Str works
for the rest, unless you typed a capital o instead of a zero, and your
eyes can't tell the difference. Since you're building a string to hold
a literal array, that's why you need string representations of your numbers.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Brian Murphy wrote:

Hello Excel NewsGroup,

I've run across a strange behavior in excel (2000 and XP) when running on a system with a non-english installation. When running the following code, a chart series is the current Selection, and I am trying to change its definition to display specific hardwired points.

xmn = 0
xmx = 1.1
ymn = 0
ymx = 1.1
With Selection
.XValues = CStr(xmn) & "," & Str(xmx)
.Values = Str(ymn) & "," & Str(ymx)
End With

In the above code, I found that the CStr and Str function calls are required to get the correct result. Does anyone know why CStr seems to be required?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy
Austin, Texas