Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Coddington Tim Coddington is offline

Default Basic Stuff.

Woah. Didn't recognize the situation hear. I was one who was
assuming too much. This tidbit may help then.
Do you realize that VBA help isn't loaded by default when Excel
is installed? Unless you did, try re-installing Excel. Do NOT use
the default package. Instead, painstakingly go through all the
installation options, and be certain to check all things having to do
with VBA. I don't know why Microsoft is being so rediculous as
to not have this loaded by default.
"Brian Tozer" wrote in message
Thanks so much for your trouble Kevin in supplying this superb and
comprehensive answer.
I will play with this tomorrow and get back to you if I have any query.
A stroke has made learning a difficult process so I really appreciate your
effort.
Brian Tozer

Kevin Stecyk wrote:
Hi Brian,

It's good to see you again.

I had assumed (always dangerous) that if a person was asking about
programming questions, he or she has at least gotten to the VBE
editor.

But maybe that was too big of a leap?

I am using XL 2000, but I think the instructions will apply to your
version as well.

Here's what you do:

1) Start Excel
2) Go to Sheet1
3) Go to Cell A1 and insert numerical 5
4) Alt-F11 (or Tools | Macro | Visual Basic Editor....takes you to the
Visual Basic Editor)
5) Insert Module
6) Copy and paste code (I will provide code again at the end).
7) Alt-Q (or File | Return and Close to Microsoft Excel)
8) Alt-F8 (or Tools | Macro | Macros)
9) You can choose to Step Into or Run at this point

10) If you choose to Step Into....you will be taken back to VBE. In
VBE you can press F8 or use the toolbar to execute each line of code.
10 A) As you move through each line of code, have a look the
spreadsheet to see the changes.

You are done.

This is a very, very simple subroutine. It merely demonstrates....

a) Assigning a value from a cell to a visual basic variable
b) Assigning a value from a visual basic variable to a cell
c) Assiging a string "B1:D1" to a variable which was used to define a
range.

You should look up in XL's help on Dim (dimension) variables. You
should note that I would have been better to use Dim Var1 as a
variant rather than as a double. That way, any value could be placed
in A1. However, I used double so that most numerical values could be
placed in A1.

Also, the '\ are simply comments. VBA requires only the single
apostrophe to designate a comment. Whatever follows the single
apostrophe is considered a comment. However, I use '\ because it is
easier to see it. It stands out more. The backslash is merely part
of the comment.

Sub Test1()
Dim dVar1 As Double
Dim sImportantRange As String

'\ Silly example to demonstrate some basic concepts
'\ "A1" on Sheet1 has the numerical value 5

sImportantRange = "B1:D1"

dVar1 = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2").Value = dVar1

Sheets("Sheet1").Range(sImportantRange).Value = dVar1

End Sub

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Kevin

"Brian Tozer" wrote in message:

Lack of totally explicit instructions on how to implement the above
example in my Excel 2002.