Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] pfsardella@yahoo.com.nospam is offline

Default VBA Code -- Cleaning Data

You can adapt this function by Leo Heuser to remove any characters
that you want. Just change what's inside the array.

Function ReplaceIllegalChars(Filename As String) As String
'' Replaces illegal filename characters with a space.

, 5. August 2001
Dim Illegal As Variant
Dim Counter As Integer

Illegal = Array("<", "", "?", "[", "]", ":", "|", "*", "/")

For Counter = LBound(Illegal) To UBound(Illegal)
Do While InStr(Filename, Illegal(Counter))
Mid(Filename, InStr(Filename, Illegal(Counter)), 1) = " "
Loop
Next Counter

ReplaceIllegalChars = Filename

End Function

HTH
Paul
Be advised to back up your WorkBook before attempting to make changes.

I have some code that is supposed to clean data in a
particular cell. The data is part numbers. Example...

A1 B1
P/N 1234-5 P/N 12345

When you enter the function cleanse(A1) in B1, the cleaned
part number will appear. It took out the dash. There are
other characters I want to do this with.