Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
FRED FRED is offline

Default Date Format Help

As far as I'm aware when you format a date eg 13-jan-2003
to dd-mmm, excel forgets or loses the year and replaces it
with the current system year (though not sure why yours is
2001).

I would say you could have a variable which is the full
date and reference that when sorting.
and possibly use the format or datepart functions to
display the other.

HTH