Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default IF function with multiple string conditions (Excel 2000)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:49:00 -0800, "Chris Bruno" wrote:

---------------------------
SAMPLE SHEET
---------------------------
ORGANIZATION | ADDRESS |
Franklin County DJFS |123 E. Main St. Columbus,OH|
Madison County DJFS |123 S. Lucas St. London, OH|
Guernsey County DJFS |4442 E 33rd St. Blahblah,OH|

I am trying to assign each entry to 1 of 8 regions based
on the county named in COL A. Is there a way (I tried
using [IF(FIND(OR("text","text"),A2)=1,"...] to search
for one of multiple strings within a string? For
example 'Franklin' and 'Madison' are both assigned to
the 'Central Ohio RTC' and 'Guernsey' is 'East Central
RTC', etc.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Set up a table matching Counties and regions:

County Region
Franklin Central Ohio RTC
Madison Central Ohio RTC
Guernsey East Central RTC

Name the table RegionTable

Now, I am assuming you always enter the ORGANIZATION with the name of the
County first, followed by a <space.

This formula will return the region:

=VLOOKUP(LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1),RegionTable,2,FALSE)

--ron