Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JMay JMay is offline

Default Dynamic Range Naming

I rec'd data as follows:

A B
1 Mon 3
2 4
3 2
4 1
5
6 Tues 4
7 7
8 3
9 2
10 5
11 9
12 10
13
14 Wed 1
15 3

Officeworker wants to get total entries (count) per day. 4,7, & 2
Knowing the counts (rows) might change (expand downward)..
I thought I'd create a dynamic named range for Mon; one for Tues; etc
and Define Range Name sample "Mon" (in Refers to box enter)
=Offset($A$1,0,1,Counta($B:$B),1) and in cell A2 enter =count(Mon) etc

After creating "Tues" with refers to box =
Offset($A$6,0,1,Counta($B:$B),1)
and entering in cell A7 =count(Tues)

both formulas are counting non-blanks in Column B, right <<< conflict!!

This is where I decide ,, hummmmm to get around this I should

Lay this data out as follows:
A B C D E F
1 Mon 3 Tues 4 Wed 1
2 4 7 3
3 2 3
4 1 2
etc

Now having a formula in C2 =count(Tues) where
Tues refers to = Offset($C$1,0,1,Counta($D:$D),1)

More Confused yet?
If True then "Sorry"
Else "hummmm"
End If

Do you now see/comprehend my mental twistedness?
Tks,

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Your description is very confusing.

your named range will refer to column B (columns are vertical).

Not sure how this makes you layout horizontal or what your separate

formulas
are.

Tom Ogilvy

"JMay" wrote in message
have spent some time this AM on Subject using sample
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B),1)

The one restriction I'm presently wrestling with is the fact
that structurally I must arrange my layout horizontally versus

Vertically
because of the use of the Counta(B:B) thing. If I go Vertically my
separate formulas would each refer to B:B and this would create
a problem, right? -- So going Horizontally, eliminates the problem,

right?
a bit confused, as if you couldn't already tell.. LOL

Can someone unconfuse me on this subject?
TIA,