Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Vasant Nanavati Vasant Nanavati is offline

Default is it possible to CLICK & insert date

Hi Bob:

Matter of taste, I guess! I always try to discourage the use of the
SelectionChange as a substitute for the nonexistent Worksheet_Click event
because it makes it so much easier for the Law of Unintended (and possibly
Unnoticed) Consequences to rear its ugly head <g. People click all over a
worksheet without much conscious thought; double-clicking on a cell implies
true intent.

Also, I can just see an inexperienced user opening the sheet with the cursor
on A1 and scrolling down hundreds of rows with the SelectionChange event
firing and changing dates every 40 rows or so!

It would be nice if the SelectionChange event had a parameter to determine
whether the navigation was done via mouse or keyboard.

Regards,

Vasant.

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Vasant,

You are probably right, but personally I do dislike the Double-Click event
<G.

You could always test for the target being empty.

Bob

"Vasant Nanavati" <vasantn *AT* aol *DOT* com wrote in message
Unfortunately, this will also change the date of previously date-stamped
cells if the user navigates to them using the keyboard. I think the OP

would
be better advised to use the DoubleClick event; that way there's no
confusion:

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As _
Range, Cancel As Boolean)
Cancel = True
If Target.Column = 1 Then Target.Value = Now

Vasant

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Mike,

If Target.Column = 1 Then
Target.Value = Date

Insert this code in the appropriate worksheet module. Change the

column
number for your target column. It will insert the date just by

entering
the
cell.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"MIKE" wrote in message
is it possible to
flag a column as a date column
and when you click a cell the date AND time is
inserted ???